UMD-Under Armour

8/26/2015 10:28:51 AM
FrankCurry
8/26/2015 10:28:51 AM Report Abuse

Under Armour is trying to do what Nike did at Oregon, and make UMD both a powerhouse and a showcase for their gear.  They are also redeveloping Cole Field house, it sounds awesome.

Do you think UMD will have a meteoric rise like Oregon did? It is definitely possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/26/sports/ncaafootball/under-armour-seeks-to-do-for-maryland-what-nike-did-for-oregon.html

http://colefieldhouse.umd.edu/world-class-athletics/

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
tomslick
8/26/2015 3:59:49 PM Report Abuse
@FrankCurry

No because the UMD athletes have to take a back seat to the professional athletes that play in this area, unlike Oregon where those kids are the main attraction. Which will make it tough to keep/bring top talent here year in-year out. UMD will continue to loose the recruiting battle to schools like PSU which make it tough to build a program like Oregon has. I would love to see it but dont think it will rise to that level.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
gostag
8/26/2015 4:15:57 PM Report Abuse
@FrankCurry
Keep the DeMatha kids at home along with the best kids in the DMV and they can do it! Just pointing the Terps coaching staff in the right direction: start with locking-down the 5-star local kids who attend DeMatha, Good Counsel, St. John's, Gonzaga, McDonogh and Gilman. That would get you more than half way there in 2 years!
tomslick
8/26/2015 4:29:42 PM Report Abuse
@gostag

Thats the problem, they can't! LMAO! PSU has 4 area 4 star commits for 2016! 

FrankCurry
8/28/2015 10:38:39 AM Report Abuse
@tomslick

But do you think they will be able to keep recruits once this build this new center in the Cole Field house, and with Under Armour's continued investment?  It would be really interesting if UMD made huge strides (and I do not even like UMD).

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
BeMoreCareful
8/26/2015 5:41:25 PM Report Abuse
@gostag

The Terps need a solid QB, run a better offensive scheme, and most of all get quality BIGS on both sides of the ball. Good Big 10 football = running the ball and stopping the run. Just sayin'.

tomslick
8/26/2015 5:52:20 PM Report Abuse
@BeMoreCareful

The Maryland Gatorade Player of the year, QB form Bullis is committed to them.  

gostag
8/27/2015 8:31:16 AM Report Abuse
@tomslick

That is a very good one by Coach Locksley - great QB from the IAC.  However, that is not where the game will change for Maryland as they are few & far between - the WCAC (DeMatha, St. John's etc) & Baltimore private school talent pools for linemen and athletes are the real tickets to their success.

tomslick
8/27/2015 10:05:50 AM Report Abuse
@gostag

I was going off of what was said in a post! But the truth to the matter is they have to get their bigs from Big 10 country "The Midwest" if they want to compete day in-day out. That will be hard because of what I said in my earlier post. Most of UMD competition is in area's where college football is king and there is no other major football for miles. Here you have all the major pro sports over the weekend that fans run to after Terps football on Saturday. Thats what UMD faces. On a recruiting visit to PSU and they said they will never lose the recruiting battle to UMD because this area has pro sports and in state college PSU football is king. My son never received and offer from PSU but little kids knew his name and wanted his autograph. He took pics at the gas station with kids and their parents that knew who he was. My youngin was blown away by the love and support from the PSU fans. Now on several similiar visits to UMD (no offer) no fan interaction at all. That's huge for a kid and his family when deciding on a school. And why it will be tough for UMD to become the Oregon of the east. Oregon football is king UMD takes a back seat to the Skins, Ravens and some local HS rivalries. 

FrankCurry
8/28/2015 10:41:09 AM Report Abuse
@tomslick

I see what you're saying, but that relates more to the hype and culture around the team.  Wouldn't a kid see the new facilities, and all that Under Armour money, and want to play at UMD?  They would also need a good coach though....

nxt lvl
8/28/2015 12:34:52 PM Report Abuse
@tomslick

What about the success USC had in LA? Also the U of Miami? Even the great state of Ohio has many pro teams. I think that there is some truth to the fact that college towns where pro teams are absent have elevated football programs. But not in all cases.  Otherwise  rural schools would win every year. The DMV has enough talent that if the kids stayed and played here they could do something special .....similar to what happened in Miami, but you need the right head coach and recruiting staff.

New Comment

You must login to report abuse. Close